Friday, December 21, 2012

Christmas - December 21

Dear Parents and Grandparents,
This Sunday, December 23, 2012 we will have a different kind of service. At 10:30 we will have a birthday party for Jesus. click here for more information on this service. We will have one morning service with no groups or childcare. Also we will have two services at 6:00pm and 7:30pm that will be different from the morning service. Childcare will be available for the night services, birth - Kindergarten. You will not want to miss these services. I hope to see you there.
The month of December I have been sharing Christmas traditions with you. I asked several of you and a few of my friends to tell me stories of their childhood Christmas traditions. Not having a 9:15 Sunday School time, I saved this one for this week. You can start or add this tradition this Christmas Eve. Please enjoy my friends story in his own words. He is one of three sons.
My Childhood Christmas tradition...
My greatest memories of Christmas revolved around Family. Every Christmas Eve, after the hustle and bustle of the day, Dad would build a fire in our wood burning fire place. Now a days a wood burning fire place is a rarity with the convenience of gas and propane. But there is just something about the crackling of the wood and unexpected color changes of the fire that you just can't replace.
After the fire had been built, we all sat down to eat a meal together. After we shared a meal it was time for hot chocolate or apple cider, my favorite was hot chocolate. With beverage in hand, we all sat down for what had become a tradition with our family. Christmas just wouldn't be the same without dad/mom reading Christmas stories to us.
Sitting by the fire the first story began..."twas the night before Christmas and all through the house." After we finished this holiday classic, we turned our attention to the a another story of Christmas. Luke 2:1-20 The story of Immanuel, God with Us. The King of Glory came in flesh, born of a virgin, lived among us was the finale of the night. Now with three boys, reading through two stories seemed like eternity and there were probably a few yawns, and thoughts of tearing into my gifts the next morning distracted me, but I will never forget the priority my parents placed on Christ at Christmas.
I am thankful for the Christmas tradition that my parents created. A tradition that focused on the true meaning of Christmas. A tradition that will never be forgotten, in fact, to be continued.
Parents, create your traditions, but while you create ask yourself a question, "What traditions are we creating that points to Immanuel?"

I hope you and your family have a very merry Christmas!
Let me know if there is anything I can help you pray about.
Bridget :)

No comments:

Post a Comment